Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Blind Submission



Blind Submission: A Novel by Debra Ginsberg

This book caught my eye when it was described as The Devil Wears Prada for the book publishing industry. Those of us who have a passion for books will identify with Angel Robinson: she has our dream job. Those of us who have worked for The Boss From Hell will also identify with her. Lucy Fiamma, I suspect, is based on a real person somewhere; she certainly seems realistic to me. Let's just say I had no problem visualizing Angel's demanding employer, her smarmy coworkers, and her desk piled to overflowing with papers, memos and obscure scribblings from a clueless boss*. The title carries a double meaning, blind submission is a term used to describe manuscripts sent by unknown authors for consideration and is also what the employer expects from her employees. The story takes on a mysterious tone when an anonymous author submits chapters of a book, one at a time, that mirror Angel's life in an increasingly sinister way.

*If my most recent (and dear) boss or coworkers are reading this, please be assured I am not referring to you!! My BFH experiences happened before I bailed from the suit-and-pantyhose gigs and came to work for/with you.

0 comments: